Before the pandemic hit in March 2020, I was suffering from the loss of several family members and the near death experience of my wife. Then the pandemic hit, I felt as though I was suffocating and really did not understand what was happening to me. Trying to be positive for my wife who was implanted with a Ventricular Device after her third heart attack.
I completely turned numb to my situation and feelings. I started binge eating and ballooned back up to 292lbs. The day I realized I could no longer fit my clothes or walk a short distance without being completely winded. I knew it was time to get back to the living and start taking care of myself. I must make the change if I were to be there for my wife and kids.
I knew what would work to lose weight, however, it was the implementation that was difficult. In other words, taking the first step so I can take the second. This has always been a journey for me. I embark on gaining momentum and then life hits and I lose steam and stop. I don’t start diets, I change habits which work for periods of time. However, I now realize changing habits is great to change, but for lasting results I have to change my mindset as well.
So, how do I do that? I started updating my library and pay attention to what I mentally intake, and I slowly start taking control of my thoughts. I slowly alter what I eat. Why slowly? I say slowly because it is the habit I am changing as well as the mindset. I understand making the decision to this is instant. Making the actual change takes time, persistence, dedication, and desire. If you persist you would see your vision, dreams, and aspirations materialize.
Small changes Over Time Can Have A Big Impact Over Time
Small changes over time can make a big difference and impact to what you are trying to achieve. Every morning I would have two cups of coffee and don’t eat anything until afternoon. Which was a great way for go into starvation mode and store fat. My small change Example; I eat two eggs with spinach and one cup of coffee followed by a cup of tea. A funny thing happened. I found myself dropping the coffee and now have a bottle of water and a cup of tea. After two weeks of doing this combine with other small changes in what I eat I notice weight loss. Small changes equals big results.
Here are some ideas of small habits you can alter that will greatly impact you in the future in more ways than one.
- Go for a walk for fifteen minutes instead of just flopping down in front of the television or computer. Over time you can increase your walk time to thirty minutes if you want. Remember the idea here is small until you can increase or make a small difference that will lead to better or healthier small habits that can possibly become big changes in your health and life.
How can walking make a big impact? Walking has been known for improving you mood. It has also been linked to helping you maintain your weight, including being responsible for losing a few pounds. Not to mention, how brisk walking can help to improve your balance.
- Substitute bad sugar for good sugar. I know it’s crazy but it works. What is the difference you ask? Bad sugar is found in processed food, soda, sugar in you coffee, or added sugar you may add in sauce for your meals. Cereals, bread, and pastries, just to name a few.
- Read ten pages per day. Over time you will increase your vocabulary, and increase your knowledge. Reading can be a great stress reliever. Reading allows you to escape and take a journey into a wonderful creative minds of many creative people. Reading ten pages a day can help you become a better writer as well. Small habit changes can yield big results.
- Power Learn for fifteen minutes a day. Have you ever wanted to learn something new but felt you just did not have the time? Take fifteen minutes a day to explore new concepts and ideas via reading or video. Several things over time will happen. Your curiosity will grow prompting you to find time to continue to learn more about that subject, trade, idea or concept. Depending what you learn can make you more valuable in the market place. There by increasing your confidence and financial status. Increasing your rate of pay and or better position with a new title can provide you with new avenues that will allow you to help others do the same. Always remember, learning new information is great. However, if the new information you acquire is not acted upon it’s just that, new information for entertainment purposes. You must put the new information, concepts, and ideas into action for them to work for you in your life.
- Change Your Habits. Take a look at your personal life. I am sure you heard this before and may have perform it as well. Take a piece of paper and write down some of your bad habits you would like to change. Be brutally honest with yourself. Just writing down what could be improved upon is one of the first steps to taking ownership and responsibility and making it real. Be clear and concise. You want to tackle this list with small changes at first. Write out what needs to be changed and create a clear road-map of how those changes will take place. Then take ACTION!
There are a host of habits you can make small changes to that can have an big impact. Smoking for one, drinking, and drugs are all habits I have personally conquered by the grace of God with no intervention. I can attest by making a decision to take action you can change your life completely around. I have been clean for over thirty years. I know and have experienced the adverse effects these types of bad habits can have on you and love ones.
Taking action by changing small things in your life can create a better future for you and those who you love and adore in your life. More importantly, you become a better person in society. Creating an impact of light that will shine and emanate with the capacity to effect others in a positive way.